Sunday, March 6, 2011

PURPLE

Today started out with a casual brunch at the hotel. While I played it safe and got the " Spanish Omelet", Tara decided to chose a riskier flavor and went with salt fish and callaloo... well needless to say our human disposal ( Will Stokes) winded up finishing the entire omelet after her first bite and I winded up splitting my single omelet with her.

Today's forecast was cloudy with a chance of rain, yet when we left to Ferryland (the tin town we volunteer at) it was true Jamaican sunshine. While we played Bob Marley and opened the windows letting the wind blow into the bus, we learned about the town we were about to approach. Elin told us about the poverty and about how accepting the kids would be. From previous experiences I felt like she was over exaggerating about the loving children, yet the moment we arrived we had kids hanging on and my tiny 5'2'' body became the human playpen. My sunglasses immediately got taken as the little kids placed them on their small head and ran around. Girls were in beautiful dresses as they had just left from church, and the boys had put on their soccer cleats waiting to see what the boys on our trip could handle.

Through out the crowd one shy boy stood out to me, he was wearing a purple shirt and matching purple SBdunks. I walked up to him and started mumbling. At first I could not understand what he was saying, but as I got closer I understood. He was saying purple, he pointing at my shirt and then point at his. Unlike the other boys he was much younger ( just turned three). He became my buddy through out the day and would not leave my side.

As we ventured around I started to notice just how smart he was. At one point I brought him up to Tara and he just started point and making a " Mmmm" sound. At first I thought he was just being shy and mumbling again, but Tara picked up on what he was trying to say: he was pointing out the M on her shirt and sounding  it out. I was astonished that he was so young and still try to sound out words. Later on when the soccer game had already started, he got really excited and started saying "FISH, BIG FISH", at first I thought it was just an expression, but then I realized that Reid had a large fish on the back of the shirt. He was noticing little things and telling them to me. Although he was quiet, he was observant and knew what was happening.

When talking to Tara later on, she mentioned that some of these kids are not able to go to school not because of the lack of having textbooks, but rather the fact that they can not afford lunch. Thinking about this boy not being able to further his intelligence was not only heartbreaking but unbearable. Tara then mentioned that on this trip we are going to try and find fun personal ways to raise money for these kids, so that such a simple thing like a $2 lunch money is not the reason for their lack of education. Meeting the kids before starting to build the soccer field was an awesome way to start out the week, and really brought our group closer.

Until next time,
Taylor

p.s. In between this, I learned how to dance.. lets say a mix between the dougie and the two-step... and the entire town was laughing at me.. including the elderly ladies. It was quite the scene but I think I have it down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment